Key Functions of the Welfare Team
The Welfare Team at Northern Saints CE (VA) Primary School is led by the Designated Safeguarding Lead – Mr Andy Jones. The team is made up of safeguarding professionals from across the school.
Meet the Team
Mr Andy Jones – Designated Safeguarding Lead and Head Teacher
Mrs Diane Curley – Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and Ac Deputy Head Teacher
Miss Kathleen McBeth – Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and Family Worker
Miss Gabby Gregory - SENDCO
Miss Caroline Scott – Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and Assistant Head Teacher
Miss Liz Burn – Medication and Health Care Plan Co Ordinator.
The Welfare Team meet regularly through informal daily meetings, one weekly (formal) meeting and share actions and concerns via our electronic Child Protection Monitoring System (CPOMS).
- The Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) has management oversight, of the safeguarding work completed by the Welfare team. Below is a list of the some of the tasks that the DSL and Welfare team will undertake:
- Contact Children’s Social Care/ Together For Children (ICRT – Integrated Contact and Referral Team) when there is an identified child protection issue.
- Make referrals to appropriate statutory and non-statutory services for support.
- Support to children and their families by taking the Lead Professional role.
- Know who our vulnerable children are. The Safeguarding Risk Register is reviewed at Welfare Team meetings on a regular basis.
- Spots the signs of abuse early and offer timely and affective support to prevent issues escalating.
- Attend regular statutory training around safeguarding and deliver Safeguarding Training to all school stakeholders several times per year.
- Be champions for the voice of children in all the work we do.
- Challenge practice and decisions in line with the Safeguarding Policy
- Have a thorough understanding of the thresholds for support from Children’s Social Care E.g. Children in Need of protection and children in need of care
- Support each other and have regular debriefing opportunities and reflective learning opportunities
- Take a key role in the early education of pupils around key safeguarding issue such as E-safety, online bullying, Child sexual exploitation and peer to peer issues so that we have a pro-active and preventative approach to safeguarding.